Saturday 1 January 2011

Happy New Year

2010 has had his ups and downs, but overall, it's been a pretty good year. This time last year, I was a completely different person. I have changed, matured, and grown so much in the past twelve months, it's kind of surreal.

My biggest change, I think, is that I'm a Nerdfighter. I discovered Kristina Horner towards the end of 2009, and at the beginning of 2010, I started discovering everyone else. Nerimon, fiveawesomegirls, Vlogbrothers. Through them, I found charlieissocoollike, lexcanroar, the 5AG as separate people, DFTBA records. And so many more YouTubers and things. They have changed me so much, it's kind of unreal. Because of Kristina, I was introduced to Wizard Rock, and DFTBA Records introduced me to so many new styles of music.

I've really gotten into fanfiction and I love finding friends in fandoms (particularly the Harry Potter one, naturally). I've become a lot more involved in the online community and I love all the online friends I've made. My writing has improved dramatically thanks to KWC and

In the early months of the year, I read my first manga, Pita-Ten, soon followed by Vampire Knight. I later watched my first anime, Ouran High School Host Club. I started watching the Vampire Knight anime, though for some reason, I stopped a few episodes in. I also began reading the Ouran manga, though I've yet to read past the first volume. I'm now attending an anime expo with my cousin a few months.

I went to my first concert in June, and P!nk completely rocked that stage. I also went to France with the school for a day, which was my first time abroad. My mother and I had been considering going somewhere with some kind of connection to Harry Potter, and we eventually deciding on going to a small town six hours north called Alnwick. The castle grounds were used in the Potter movies. We went in August, and it was one of the best long weekends of my life.

Another big change was finding Starkid. About a week before A Very Potter Sequel was put online, I finally got tired of being confused by the AVPM references on AverageWizard and decided to watch A Very Potter Musical. I fell in love with it. I watched it several times over that week, and when A Very Potter Sequel was posted, I was so excited. I quickly found Little White Lie, too, even though it doesn't have a playlist of it's own and you can't access it from Starkid's account. After a few weeks of re-watching the musicals and hovering over the link to the Me and My Dick playlist, I finally decided to watch that, too.

On 5th August, I joined Tumblr, a site that has drastically changed my life. I joined so I could easily keep track of lexcanroar(youtube)/iseahorse(tumblr)'s posts, and it was amazing. I have over 7,000 posts on there already, in the space of five months. I got into it instantly and I've been addicted ever since. When I turn the laptop on, Tumblr is always the first site I go to. It has it's issues, but I absolutely adore that site. On 19th September, I created an EffYeahDevinLytle tumblr. Devin followed it twenty-four hours after it was created.

In September, I went into Year Nine and begrudgingly watched the piles of homework topple onto me. It was stressful and I was on the verge of a mental breakdown. But I got through it. At some point between September and November, I discovered pansexuality, and knew instantly that -- after almost a year of questioning -- I'd found my sexuality.

In October, it was revealed to the world that Darren Criss -- Harry Potter from AVPM -- would be starring in Glee as a gay teen from a rival school, and was to supposedly going to become Kurt's love interest. For two weeks leading up to 9th November (his first episode), I watched as much of Glee as I could. Glee had never interested me beforehand and I'd never planned on watching it. With one of the most important men in my life getting a role on the show, however, I knew I had to watch it. As I whizzed through the first season, I found myself falling in love with the show, and I am now proud to say I'm part of the Glee fandom.

I'm now part of a Glee RP on Tumblr, roleplaying as Blaine, and I get along really well with the girl who roleplays Kurt -- Blaine's boyfriend -- and she's my first Tumblr friend. If you're reading this, hey Karo ^.^

On 13th November, I went to my second concert -- a Paramore one. I went with my best friend, and it was absolutely amazing. This month, they announced that two of the band members would be leaving (and are supposedly to be replaced by Taylor York's brother and someone else who I've forgotten the name of). I'm so grateful that I managed to get in just in time.

In December, I came out to my best friend. We haven't really gotten a chance to talk about it thoroughly but she's perfectly okay with it, completely supportive of it, and really grateful that I told her. I couldn't ask for a better friend than her. She's so amazing and I love her to pieces.

Christmas wasn't the best it could have been, but it ended on a happy note. My baby cousin was really ill with a dangerously high temperature so, while his parents took him to A+E, the rest of my family sat quietly in the living room, watching TV and attempting to eat Christmas dinner, though none of us could enjoy ourselves or eat much because we were so worried. The doctors managed to get his temperature down and they came back a few hours later with him as happy as could be. I got several Disney DVDs from several people (though mostly my mum), and my wonderful mother got me a giant Simba teddy that I now sleep with at night. Not ashamed.

Overall, the year has been relatively good to me, though I've had a lot of low times. I doubt 2011 will top this year, but who knows? It might surprise me.

2 comments:

  1. About the last sentence, I totally agree with you. This year has been so great, that I'm not so sure if ANY year could top it off.

    Wow, Steph! You've had a really... busy year! I can't believe you've been able to go through it with all the ups and downs in your life (such as the constant headaches).

    Mostly your years been good. Do you keep a diary or something? Cos' most people wouldn't remember so much.

    I'm glad you've enjoyed 2010.

    So have I, you know. It's been a different year from the others, sorta... relaxing. It's like a message to beware, as it might be the end of Fun (although that's unlikely - probably my imagination running loose again) this year.

    Have you made any resolutions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Alnwick, the castle and gardens are awesome! Not to sound too stalkerish, but I think you must live relatively near me, to travel six hours north to Alnwick... yeah, that sounds stalker!
    You had a great year, hope 2011 works out just as well!

    ReplyDelete