Tuesday 3 August 2010

Phone Conversations

All phone conversations, for me, are as awkward as hell. No matter who it's with - be it my family, my closest friends, or random strangers who call the wrong number - it's always an awkward experience for me. I like talking face-to-face, or typing/texting. I don't even mind video chats, because I can see the person. For some reason, and I have no idea why, phone conversations and I just don't get along. Take this, for example... Earlier, my friend Owen called me. It went like this.

S: Uhh, hi?
O: Hi. I was wondering if you want to come out tomorrow.
S: Uhh, uhm, uhh... *awkward silence* No, no, I can't. I, uh, have to babysit my baby cousin tomorrow.
O: Oh. I was thinking of going to *my town* tomorrow ... I was meant to be going with Kelly and a bunch of other people, but Kelly said she can't go. So now I have no one to go with.
S: Er ... oh. I'm sorry. As I said, uh, I have to uhm help my nan babysit my cousin 'cos my mum's at work .... and nan can't look after him by herself ... And my grandad's fishing.*
O: Oh, okay. *very awkward, very long silence*
S: *runs hand through hair and has an insane internal monologue*
O: Could I come to yours tomorrow, then? And help look after your baby cousin?
S: *hesitation* Errr... no, I don't think so. I have to, like, pack and everything, too, 'cos I go on holiday on Friday-
O: Yeah, I remember you talking about that.
S: Yeah, well ... anyway ... I don't think you can come round. Sorry.
O: That's fine. I'm going to be really bored tomorrow.
S: ... Read a book.
O: Read a book?
S: Yeah, you might, uhm, enjoy it? *is thinking END THIS CONVERSATION, OWEN, PLEASE!*
O: Like that'll happen.
S: Whatever. *awkward silence lasts several minutes, I'm dying*
O: Right, well *I'm thinking THANK YOU* ... I'll probably see you some other time, yeah?
S: *rushed, desperate* Yeah. Well, see ya!
O: See- *I hang up and hyperventilate*

Okay, so many I didn't hyperventilate, but I'm always so relieved when a phone conversation ends. Even if it's a nice, pleasant conversation. I just can't stand it.

BUT ON A WAY MORE EXCITING AND TOTALLY AWESOME NOTE:

I got my baby cousin, who turns two years old next month, to say Harry Potter, Doctor Who, and Hermon Granger. Yes. I did, indeed. I said to my mum not long ago that I was going to get him saying 'Harry Potter' by the end of the summer, and I've already done that, and it was so easy. I woke up to him roaring and running into my room, and I picked him up onto my bed. He pointed at my giant Doctor Who poster, and I said "That's Doctor Who."

He then said "Docta Whoooooooooooooooo." I squealed, kissed him, and then decided to test him.

"What about Harry Potter? Can you say Harry Potter?"

"Harry Potterrr."

My mum, who was down the hall, heard and was really happy, as was I. I'm still ecstatic about it. Later on, we were trying him with different Harry Potter character names, and he refused to say any of them.

"Can you say Hermione Granger?" my mum asked. A bit ambitious, I thought, and I told her that - however, I ate my words when moments later, he said:

"Hermon Grrranga!" If you've seen A Very Potter Sequel, you'll understand why I laughed at this. I'd be proud if he said anything resembling Hermione Granger, but the fact he called her Hermon made me so freaking happy.

I'm so proud of my little man (:

* I always feel like I have to explain myself when I'm on the phone. Again, not a clue why.

1 comment:

  1. Lol, awesome post!
    And, I hate phone conversations too! especially if they're with my relatives, who live abroad, and I have to keep asking them to repeat themselves because of the infernal crackling noise in our phone.

    ReplyDelete