Saturday 28 August 2010

Tiny Update

I'm sorry I haven't blogged in ages. I've been pre-occupied. I have a half-written draft of my holiday blog waiting to be finished and I really don't want to write it but a part of me does. Yeah.

So, I went out with Jess the Thursday before last, and while we were waiting at the bus stop to go home, this rather chavvy-looking guy in his late teens comes over from the next bus stop down and says "Ello ladies, my friend over there (he points to the taller one of two other chavvy guys) thinks you're fit and he was wondering if he could have your number. Oh, and how old are you?"

Instantly, I noticed how he didn't specify which one of us he was talking to, and he was looking at both of us, so presumably, if it was legit, his friend wanted BOTH of our numbers. The little player. "I'm thirteen," was all I said, and my nose was wrinkled slightly. He asked Jess how old she was, and she said "Thirteen", too. He nodded, and then as he was walking away, he cracked up and pointed at his friend. He called him something that I didn't quite catch, and yelled "They're thirteen!" for the entire world to hear.

From the look on his friend's face, it was a joke (and one that he had been left out of), and he started shaking his head at us and mouthing words that we couldn't lipread.

That's pretty much the only eventful thing that's happened recently.

BUT, on that same Thursday, someone I know committed suicide (I didn't find out until last Saturday), and Esther Earl lost her life to cancer during the early hours of the Thursday morning just passed. You're not to know this but Lisa, the person I know, had been mentally ill for a long time, and she'd had enough so she committed suicide. I'm not going into any more details because I'm not meant to tell anyone. She was the mother of an old friend, and she was an amazing person. Esther Earl was a sixteen-year-old nerdfighter who I didn't know personally, but I looked up to and respected. After a four-year-long battle to cancer, she passed away.

So it's been a very sad week for me. I can't wait to see what happens NEXT Thursday ... *sigh*

On the bright side, my best friend Katie lost a bet between us and wrote me this amazing fic that I think you should check out. AND I've decided that I'm going to be participating in NaNoWriMo this year, but not the official one. I'm doing the Young Writer's NaNoWriMo, because there's no way I can write 50k words in a month. Not now. The YWP, as I'll refer to it from here on in, is a flexible NaNoWriMo challenge that lets people of ages 17 and under set their own writing target, rather than aiming for 50k. I'm going for 25k, and each year, I'll raise it by 5k or whatever, until I feel confident enough for 50k.

Anyway - a holiday blog is on it's way, and I'm going to go and read some more of An Abundance of Katherines. Speaking of reading, I only have eleven more books to read until I reach my goal, and four months to do that in. It's going to be so easy. Also, once I hit my target, I'll continue recording the books I read. For the hell of it.

See ya!

1 comment:

  1. Awhhhh....
    I feel really sad for you. And I HAD to read the first part twice!

    ReplyDelete