Sunday 5 September 2010

School

The summer's only six weeks long
But I wish it was longer, wish it was longer, wish it was longer
-- Summer, Futures.

I've never hated school. In fact, I kind of like it. If someone said to me "Hey! We're giving you the opportunity to drop school! You can pack your bags and go home, and never come back!", I'd reject that opportunity.

Tomorrow, I go back, after six weeks summer holiday. During those six weeks, it felt like time was passing slowly, but now I sit here, knowing I'm going to be woken up at 7am and that I'm going to have to put clothes on as opposed to staying in my jimjams all day, I can't help but wonder where the time has gone. 

And I'm not dreading going back, I'm just not particularly looking forward to it, either. I want, like, another week off or something. But then, if I was given that, at the end of that week, I'd want another week off. But when tomorrow comes, and I'm at school, seeing all my friends and comparing timetables and wondering which teachers we have for each lesson*, I'm not going to think "I want it to be summer again!". Instead, I'll be thinking - in a very Darren Criss-like way - "Man I'm glad I'm back."

On the downside, we have a new headmistress and she's changed so much. Girls can't wear plimsolls (I live in plimsolls practically), trainers, sandals (that was already in place), or boots (I always wear boots in winter - my feet are going to freeze). We can either wear guy shoes or pumps (flats). Now, I have nothing against flats, but if I'd thought of it when shoe shopping, I seriously would have considered guy shoes. Because they're more comfortable and they'll keep my feet warm.

Also, girls can't wear fitted blouses (screw that - I'm wearing them) and girls have to tuck their shirts in. Top button must be done up, tie must be up to said top button (SHE'S TRYING TO KILL US - I can hardly breathe with my top button done up, it partially traps my airway). And we have to wear the school jogging bottoms for PE, even if we already have perfectly good jogging bottoms to wear. 

I hate her, and I haven't even met her.

But other than that, I'm not not looking forward to going back. I'm impartial. 

I'm sick of summer and this waiting around
Man it's September so I'm skipping this town
Hey it's no mystery
There's nothing here for me now
I gotta get back to Hogwarts!
I gotta get back to school!
I gotta get myself to Hogwarts
Where everyone thinks I'm cool.
-- Get Back To Hogwarts, Darren Criss, AVPM.

*On the timetable, they put the initals of the teacher beneath the lesson, so we try to guess who it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment