Friday 7 May 2010

Writer's Digest

A couple of days ago, I found a Twitter acount called @WritersDigest and I've fallen in love with it. It posts links to articles about writing, such as '8 Basic Writing Blunders' and 'Brenda Novak on 5 ways to make your romance story stand out to editors and agents' usually from their site (but sometimes from elsewhere), and they're so helpful with writing. I love it. They just give little tips, and they're really inspirational. If you enjoy writing, or you want to improve your writing skills, I highly suggest you follow them/keep an eye on them(if you don't have Twitter). They're honestly fantastic. And in the Brenda Novak article, a certain quote stood out to me.

“Give one plot to 10 different authors and you’ll get 10 very different stories.”

And it's true. As a writer, I know it's true. Unless two writers think very much alike or one is just a very good copycat/thief, the stories written around the same plot are bound to be different. I love this. Of course, it doesn't always work. For example, give someone the plot of "good vampire falls for the new human girl at high school", and you'll end up with something a lot like Twilight. Give someone the plot of "mad scientist creates and neglects a creature from dead bodies, who gets angry although he wants to love.", and you'll most likely end up with something similar to Frankenstein. However, give them something like "teenage boy unwillingly becomes a spy and tries to save the world at a posh boarding school" and unless they've read the book I'm thinking of, it won't end up much like Point Blanc. The vaguer the plot is, naturally, the more different the stories will be, and that's the beauty of it. Ever heard the saying 'Simplicity is bliss'? Well, that applies here.

So, anyway, check out Writers Digest! If you're a writer, I highly doubt it'll dissappoint.

In other news, I went on an edit frenzy last night. It was slightly insane. I made four banners within the space of an hour and a half without them looking rushed, and while I was talking to a couple of friends online, as well*.

That one is probably my favourite, because it changed so much. Originally, I had no idea what I was doing. I was randomly colouring different parts in different shades of orange and red or whatever. Then I made it purple. Even after that, I still had no idea who I was going to put on the picture, but after sticking some trees with low opacity on it, I found this beautiful picture of Karen Gillan on Google Images. However, purple didn't look nice, so I changed the colour to green, and then toyed around with different parts of the background, changing the shading in certain areas until I was happy, and then stuck Karen on it. I really like it. Although, that being said, I also love this one ...
While browsing Paramore pictures on Google Images, and listening to Paramore on my phone (It has an MP4 built into it... what can I say? It's cheaper than buying a fancy phone and an iPod touch or whatever separately, and it works fine, so why not?), I found this picture just as Where the Lines Overlap started. Naturally, the cogs in my brain started moving, because the first line just fit the picture so much. After a bit of over-excited editing, this was born. Here's the original picture.

The others, along with these, will be up on my DeviantART shortly.
Keep blogging!

*Multitasking FTW!

1 comment:

  1. I love Paramore! And I really like your editing, you're really good :)
    -Lizzie, aka loupylou.powell

    ReplyDelete