Saturday 26 June 2010

The Fans Who Waited

WARNING: DOCTOR WHO SPOILERS

I tried so hard not to cry because my grandparents were in the room, but I admit, I teared up a little. Thankfully, neither of them noticed. This episode was beautiful and imaginative and really something. It was really well-thought out, and it shows just how much thought went into the series, how it all tied together and everything. I loved how things from previous episodes linked into the last one, especially when the Doctor said "Gotcha" (this scene from the The Beast Below, anyone?), and this part.

 I love the way the Doctor jumped through time and told Roman Rory what to do, and then later on, we got to see what went on in the other end. I thought it was a really amazing touch. I also love how they managed to keep so much of it a secret until it was necessary to announce it.

The idea was generally one of their better ones, and a lot of the quotes made me smile, especially the one about Rory being "The Boy Who Waited" - I just loved how the Doctor made Amy and Rory sound connected, as Amy is already well-known as "The Girl Who Waited".

Amy is an amazing character, and I've expressed my love for her many times. When my friend asked "If you were gay, and you choose any girl to be your girlfriend, who would it be?" I didn't hesitate in replying Amy Pond. And I'm serious. She's an amazing companion, better than any I've seen so far. She's so quirky and arrogant, so smart and witty, so funny, so ginger. I love her to pieces. I don't think they could have casted her better, either. Karen Gillan is a gorgeous, intelligent, amazing actress.

Rory is adorable. I admit, I was iffy about him at first, but when I realised he was going to be around for more than one episode, he grew on me. He's that typical, clumsy, shy boy who has a heart too big for his body and never really knows what's going on. Adorable, utter adorable. I love how he waited an entire 2,000 years for Amy while she was in the Pandorica, saving her from harm, posing as a guard in the museum to keep an eye on her and everything. Amy/Rory is The Couple That Waited.

River, I'm not actually keen on. Maybe that's because I feel like she's trying to take the Doctor away from Amy, maybe because she's forcing the Doctor to know who she is before he's meant to meet her, maybe it's because she's just too damn interfering. But I'm not keen on her. Sure, if she waited until her time to meet the Doctor and become his companion, I'd probably like her. Maybe I will, in that near future she's always on about.

Now, onto the most important character of the series. Number Eleven. I had high hopes for the Raggedy Doctor, and he met them. When he joined Doctor Who, he had pretty big shoes to fill - David Tennant left a massive expectation amongst all Whovians, and Matt Smith had to meet that. I think he did. While he had Number Ten's eccentric attitude and witty remarks, he was clumsy and he didn't always know what to do. He made mistakes, his plans failed, he wasn't always cocky and arrogant, he didn't try to hide his fear. And I love that about him. Yes, I loved #10's arrogance and perfection, but I didn't want #11 to be a carbon copy of him. I wanted differences, but similarities, and that's exactly what I got. Matt Smith is an amazing actor, and I adore him to pieces.

At the end of the start of the finale (last week's episode), I was mind boggled. I had no idea how they'd continue it with Amy dead, the Doctor trapped, and River about to be blown up. But it all pieced together, and my theory was wrong (Churchill, the Bloody Queen, Van Gogh, and everyone, was going to band together to save them xD), but that's alright because the actual ending was better.

I love how they twisted the "Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue." wedding rhyme to fit the TARDIS, and I honestly didn't make the connection until right before the TARDIS appeared, when Amy was screaming for him to come back because she remembered. It was genius.

So, another amazing series is over, and I'm glad that no one has left (although I'll be honest, I expected someone to die). And, as I just said to Ellen on Twitter, we will have to follow Amy and Rory's examples, and be The Fans Who Waited. No Doctor Who until Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment