Tuesday 19 April 2011

Elisabeth Sladen

This blog post is going to be really short because I'm feeling pretty down and I don't want to type a lot. I just want to curl up beneath a blanket with a cup of tea and book, my cat sleeping at my feet. I really, really just want to escape. So I'm going to be blunt and to the point and quick.

Elisabeth Sladen has died. For those of you who don't know her, or don't recognise her name, she played Sarah Jane Smith in Doctor Who -- and then again in The Sarah Jane Smith Adventures. She passed away earlier today and rumours of her death began circulating social networking sites within the past few hours. I Googled it, and an article said it had yet to be confirmed. Less than twenty minutes later, BBC News confirmed her death and was the first news station to report it. 

I'm a big Doctor Who fan. I love it with a burning passion and I always will. It's a fantastic show, a really great mix of hilarity and thrill, with it's heartbreaking serious moments, too. While I haven't watched any of the earlier series (pre-ninth doctor), which was when she was a companion, I've seen the episodes where Elisabeth reprised her role and came back for an episode or two at a time. I love her and her character. 

Her death hasn't really sunk in yet, I can't cry, I feel kind of numb ... but it's hit me. I miss her already. She's (was?) as an amazing, amazing person and she's going to be missed so much. Her last episode on Doctor Who was called 'Goodbye Sarah Jane Smith', which is just a slap to the face right now. It's so relevant, so perfect, almost like it was planned ... but it hurts.

*sigh*

RIP Elisabeth Sladen. You will never be forgotten



Drabbles IOU: 7

No comments:

Post a Comment