Monday 18 April 2011

You Dun Goof'd, Nicole

I am the worst. I have the most terrible memory ever, and the biggest tendency to procrastinate ever. I'm awful. I know. Hate me. Earlier, I looked at the clock and saw I had two hours left to blog. I thought, "Okay, I'm going to read a chapter of my book, get some hot chocolate, and then type up a blog post." but by the time I'd finished that chapter and got some hot chocolate, it completely left my mind. It's past midnight now, and I'm in the middle of making a manip, but I realised the time, facepalmed, and decided to blog now so I don't forget later today.

Today (or, I suppose, yesterday), an extra from Glee got fired. On her Twitter, she announced a massive spoiler for the next episode (which airs on Tuesday) without the writers' permission. Now, a lot of extras are known for sharing spoilers. Little teasers and irrelevant snippets of plotlines that get us excited for future episodes, but nothing that really spoils us and would get the extra in trouble. I don't really follow spoilers. If I see them on my tumblr dash, that's fine, but I don't go out of my way to look for them or make an effort to find out the latest goss. I prefer to watch the episode with as little knowledge as possible. That's fine, that suits me, but some people do like finding out the latest spoilers. Most extras provide those spoilers without revealing anything too big. However, Nicole Crowther took it to the next level.

The tweet has since been deleted, but she told her 3,000+ followers on Twitter (and their followers on both twitter and tumblr, it went viral on both sites) who would be elected Prom Queen and Prom King in the next episode. If you don't watch Glee or didn't see the tweet, you wouldn't understand why this is such a big deal. However, let me tell you, it's a huge plot twist that is extremely unexpected, and the writers (who I'll refer to as RIB from here on in -- Ryan Ian Brad) wanted to keep it under wraps.

Brad Falchuk, one of the writers, saw the tweet and publicly called her out/blacklisted her/fired her, with these two tweets:

The Glee fandom went crazy. People sent her messages, mostly insulting, some sympathetic. Some fans (myself included) were furious at what she'd done. You'd think it'd get better from here, right? You'd think Brad and Nicole would talk and solve things in a sensible manner, yes? Oh, I wish they had. A little while after Brad sent those tweets, Nicole sent an empty apology that sounded like something you'd find on a hallmark card. 

Within five minutes, while the fandom was laughing bitterly at the fake abrupt tone of her response, that tweet was deleted. She then started throwing herself a little pity party, retweeting sympathetic tweets. I think this is when most people started getting angry, because she was acting like a child.

Again, these retweets were deleted within minutes of being retweeted. Nicole probably thought she'd gotten away with it, but I don't think she realises how fast the Glee fandom can be -- as always, we capped her ridiculous act before she could get rid of the evidence, and now we have photographic proof, even if the original evidence was deleted. It was around this time, maybe a little earlier, that the Glee fandom decided to get #BradIsOurKing a trending topic. I don't actually know if we managed that or not, but I spent quite a long time just looking through the tag and seeing what people had to say. It was pretty interesting. Anyway, upon deleting the rude retweets, the next thing she tweeted was her original explanation for posting the spoiler. I responded to it.


By this point, I -- among plenty of others -- was livid. I posted the above screencap on tumblr, and added this to it:
It’s genuinely surprising me how polite I’m being right now. I’m pissed off because I can’t help thinking … if that was me, if I’d spent months planning this great controversial plot twist that’ll shock every single viewer, if I thought we’d be able to keep this twist under wraps, and then someone I trusted spoiled it and told thousands of fans about it, I would be raging. And just putting myself in RIB’s shoes is enough to make me furious. I want to scream.

As a writer and a very empathetic person, it didn't take much for me to understand how RIB must be feeling right now. Not only did Nicole break her contract with Glee/FOX, she broke RIB's trust, and she ruined something that they were really anticipating (the audience's reaction the Prom Queen and King). She deleted that tweet before going through her blog and deleting everything she'd posted since early April, including the big spoiler. We didn't hear anything from her for a couple of hours, we starting thinking about other things, we began moving on ...

And then she tweeted again.

Now, while this sounds more genuine, I highly doubt she means it. After retweeting tweets that were bashing Brad, after deleting her initial apology, after saying she didn't want to be a part of the show anymore, it's very difficult to believe she's actually sorry for posting the spoiler.


Acting like the victim was a really low move. None of us had actually been bullying her -- expressing our rage,  inquiring why she did it, questioning her motives ... sure. But none of us had been harassing her or attacking her. Most of the nastier tweets weren't tagged with her username, so she wouldn't have seen them unless she went looking (and if she did, then it's her own fault). And, yes, I admit -- sometimes certain members of the fandom can take things a few steps too far, but I wouldn't say any of us were bullying her. Glee has taught us a lot, and none of us would ever dream of bullying someone. Acting like the victim made me even angrier.


Then she replies to this message, changing her original reason behind tweeting the spoiler. Originally, she said she didn't want to be an extra anymore -- like she made a totally sane decision to post the spoiler in order to get fired. Now she's blaming it on the alcohol, like it was accident and she didn't mean to post it. However, if she didn't mean to post it, then she didn't want to get fired, which goes against what she originally said and later deleted. Makes sense, right? No. In other words, she's making excuses.

This entire situation has been a mix of amusing (the hilarious comments made by people I follow on tumblr) and infuriating (what Nicole has been doing has annoyed me to no end). It's starting to die down, but seeing how this day has been, I wouldn't be surprised if Nicole tweeted something stupid or Brad @replied her something really sharp and witty, which will set the entire fandom aflame and get them going crazy.

All I know is that I'm sick of Nicole Crowther and she deserves everything that gets thrown her way for being so stupid -- unemployment, lawsuit, blacklisted from the entertainment industry. If she can't be trusted as an extra whose character doesn't even have a name, she can't be trusted as anything more, either. You go against your contract, you get sued and fired instantly. That's how things work. 

Drabbles IOU: 7

2 comments:

  1. THANKYOU STEPH. MY LIFE SUDDENLY MAKES SO MUCH SENSE. I got on Tumblr after getting home from school, and I see something about "Brad's and Nicole's Fight" and I'm just like lulut? Because I'd also been on facebook, and one of my tumblr-facebok friends posted something about it, and I didn't really get anything posted on my dash. SO THANKYOU!

    I have no self control either, so I went and read the spoilers. I don't really like the idea, but I think I have faith in RIB, so Imma go with it. I really hope she is arrested or something though, because I'm pretty selfish, and I just like watcing the drama.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh. My. God.

    First of all, thanks for notifying me of this. (Too young to be on Twitter, Facebook etc.)

    Now. I *CANNOT* believe what she has done. Yeah, she's making excuses, and she is so damn stupid if she thinks everyone will fall for it. I feel like giving her a friccin' punch in the face and telling her to grow up. (Sorry I'm being so aggressive. It's how I feel.)

    And I'm also mad at the people who actually fell for it. Stupid maniacs with no brains. This ain't bullying by FAR. It's not even close. For God's sake, people are more rude to Obama than that, and *he* doesn't make excuses for stuff he does. (So sorry. This might not be making sense.)

    But Nicole needs to get a kick in the butt (I was gonna use another word) and be told that she is a loser. I really, really DO think so because, after all, she doesn't know what it feels like to work v. v. hard on a surprise for more than a million people. I mean, I'm not saying we have the experience, but at least we can empathise.

    I hope she gets the worse. And no chocolate.

    ReplyDelete